After the upgrade to version 2.8 of WordPress my visual editor, the TinyMCE editor used to edit most of my posts disappeared and did not want to start at all. I tried four different browsers with the same problem, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, MS Internet Explorer and Opera and they all had the same problem.
I found other people on the web with similar problems with various solutions but nothing they did helped me so after some trial and error this is what I did and it worked for me:
- Disabled all plugins.
- Removed the site from ”Gears” in firefox browser.
- Cleared the entire browsing history, cookies, and all user data from the browser except for saved passwords.
- Logged in to the site and went to ”Tools->Upgrade” and did a re-install of the 2.8 version of wordpress.
- Re-enabled the plugins I wanted.
- The visual editor now works.
This solved the problem also in Google Chrome but required a restart of the web browser. The Gears is disabled in the ”under the hood” settings of Chrome.
I hope others may have some help from this because it was rather annoying. I think it was a problem with saved cookies in combination with the google gears.